Come and enjoy a beautiful spring-like day today at Patapsco Valley State Park in the Avalon Area. An area rich in history along the Patapsco River, the land was first owned in 1761 by Caleb Dorsey and named “Taylor’s Forest.” Rich in iron, the first production was Pig Iron which was exported to England.
Caleb Dorsey passed away in 1771, and his two sons succeeded him. “Iron Head Ned” and Samuel Dorsey continued operating the forge. During the American Revolutionary War, Musket maker William Whetcroft leased the forge to manufacture cast-iron parts for his weapons. However in 1783, the iron works were behind on their tax bill and the forge was closed.
The property was auctioned off in 1815, and Benjamin and James Ellicott purchased the property and began the Avalon Nail and Iron Works in 1822. The original Nail and Iron works building was burnt down in 1845, and a new plant was built by John McCrone.
But this was a place that was not meant to last, and a massive flood on July 24, 1868 filled the Patapsco Valley in the area and heavily damaged The Avalon Works. Source: Maryland Historical Trust.
The bridge shown above was built in 1835 and known as the Thomas Viaduct. This is the world’s largest multiple (eight) arched stone railroad bridge built on an arc.
Parking at the Swinging Bridge, the morning was bright and promising. A group of Koreans has just finished their morning hike and were enjoying a lovely cup of tea with cakes.
This hike took us up the Cascade Falls trail towards Cascade Falls. There has been a lot of rain lately and the falls were full and the sounds of falling water greeted us from afar.
The large granite boulders in the stream with shadows gently laying on their surface showed how Mother Nature can tower over us.
But there is nothing more spectacular than a bright blue sky with the trees reaching towards the heavens. Forever showing hope and promise of a new beginning.